The Silhouette Machine Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Come on in and say Hi!!

+6
Kaylyn
vpoche
susies1955
Donnas_Daze
twinmom01
Admin
10 posters

Go down

Come on in and say Hi!! Empty Come on in and say Hi!!

Post  Admin Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:09 pm

Please come on in and say hello and let's get this forum going!! I am sure we all have some information to share!!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Come on in and say Hi!! Empty Re: Come on in and say Hi!!

Post  MollyT Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:31 pm

Hi, I'm Molly! I'm not much of a paper crafter, more sewing and such. I just opened my silhouette about 20 minutes ago and I'm already searching online for answers!!!

MollyT

Back to top Go down

Post  twinmom01 Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:14 pm

Hi - I'm Jenni

I have had my wonderful silhouette for a little over a year and adore it. During the holiday season I used it a lot for commissioned projects.

Still learning all the INS and outs of the new software so it will be great to have a forum specifically dealing with the silhouette and the software.

twinmom01

Back to top Go down

Post  Donnas_Daze Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:22 pm

Hi,
I'm Donna from Georgia. I got my silhouette just before Christmas and am having one heck of a time learning to use the software.

Donnas_Daze

http://donnas-dayz.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  susies1955 Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:01 am

Hi,
I'm a 55 year old northern New Yorker.
My hobbies are macramé, quilting, purse making, bread baking, graphic
design, html, hand knitting, machine knitting, machine embroidery, cake and cookie
decorating, Rachael Ray Cooking, Heat Press Transfer, nail polishing/nail art,
Bersa Thunder 380 target shooting, Harley Riding, brand new to scrapbooking,
stamping, card making and copic markers!
I got the silhouette for Christmas and must be afraid of it because I've only used it twice.
I wish we could do a video class through Yahoo Messenger or Skype. Smile
Thanks for starting this forum,
Susie

susies1955

http://susies1955.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Come on in and say Hi!! Empty Videos for help

Post  vpoche Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:43 am

Susie,
I have come across several U-Tube videos on the silhouette, they have really been helpful, that is how I got some of my tips. I am not sure of the website, because it was a while ago, but if I come across it I will post them. But you can probably search for it. I love that you have so many hobbies, how do you have any time leftover?

vpoche

Back to top Go down

Post  susies1955 Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:45 am

I don't have any time. LOL.
I've watched every youtube video there is. Smile
I've just got to sit and play with it. Just don't know where to start. Smile
Thanks,
Susie

susies1955

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaylyn Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:40 am

Hey Susie ~

I'm Kaylyn, 57, from central Utah. I've crafted most of my life; 15 years for a living. I'm new to paper-crafting and was so excited to get my Silhouette last summer. It sat in the box for 2 months because, although I'm of above-average intelligence, it scared me to death. I think part of it is my age ... I didn't grow up with technology and I don't learn well from reading instructions, so it was a tad over-whelming.

I had one of my daughters, who dabbles in art programs, come over and help me learn basics. Once I mastered those, I felt a little more confident to fiddle around. Now I'm teaching my husband who's loving it. (cute, huh?)

I haven't learned some of the more complicated things like importing and adding cut lines (which I REALLY need to learn right now to complete some projects) but am gearing up to figuring it out. :>

After seeing my Sil, my DIL (graphic designer) and daughter's boyfriend (artist extrordinaire) both purchased them. NOw, I can ask them for help, too.

Do you know someone who could come tutor you on basic program stuff? I'll bet you could run with it after that.

Kelly!! Thank you for starting the forum!!

Kaylyn

Back to top Go down

Post  susies1955 Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:57 am

Wow Kelly that is great that you use it so much.
We don't have many humans here where we live. TINY town and none of them seem to be interested in anything so I'm all alone to learn except what I can find on line.
I know some gals teach crafts on Ustream and Yahoo Messenger or Skype. I can't seem to find much about the Silhouette though.
I've got to MAKE myself use it.
SUsie

susies1955

Back to top Go down

Come on in and say Hi!! Empty Come on in and say HI!

Post  Bama Girl Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:19 am

Hi everyone!
First, Thanks Kelly for starting the forum!

I have had my Silhouette for a little over a year and a half now and I must admit....it sat in the box for several months because I was intimidated by it. And after experiencing problems with the cutting, the machine was replaced. CUSTOMER SERVICE IS AWESOME!!!!! Also, I finally attended a introductory "class" and gained some courage....mainly because I was told that I had to load the new Silhouette Studio Software because the Quickkutz was no longer going to be supported. So that was just the push I needed. I'm on my way now....STILL have a lot to learn but I have begun!

Some things I've learned so far:
CUSTOMER SERVICE TOP NOTCH NUMBER 1 in my book!!!

LOVE the subscription service. Love using the online store and LOVE the designs.

ALWAYS....ALWAYS....ALWAYS perform a test cut

With each new paper, MAKE NOTES about the type of paper, settings on the machine, and results of the cut. I usually write these things on a scrap piece of the paper I'm using for the first time. For me, this is an easy reference for future cuts using a new paper. I just pull out the samples and compare them to the new paper to determine the previous settings used and any adjustments needed.

I have found that some more porous papers don't cut well no matter the setting. THUS THE IMPORTANCE OF PERFORMING THE TEST CUT.
Note: I have a machine that does embossing so I tend to stick with plain card stock because I like embossing my own textures to my projects.......this seems to be working perfectly for me so far.

Haven't tried the print and cut designs because I haven't invested in a color printer.....yet.

Have the pen and have drawn a few sketches and cut them out....worked great.

Personally, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the new software. TO ME it is much more user friendly. I have been a multi media crafter for years and have recently dabbled with graphics software and digital scrapbooking so it was very easy to learn. It seems to allow for more creativity too which I love!

Quick note about the mats. I recently ran across a couple of articles on how to renew the tackyness of the mats using a "repositionable" glue or a "tack it over and over" glue. So far all I've had to do is use an old credit card to scrap off any residue and it seems to work ok. Also I make sure to lay my paper on the mat (on a flat surface) and press down really well going around the whole piece of paper to ensure that it is stuck well to the mat before I load it in the machine.

Hope this helps someone!
Bama Girl

Bama Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  susies1955 Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:28 am

Hi Bama Girl,
Yes, it is nice of Kelly to start this forum. Smile
I've emailed customer service once and they are fast. Smile It's great.
Thanks for the tips and I clean my mat by putting it in the sink and rubbing off
the gunk with my fingers. I dry it by tapping on it with a towel and it is good to go again. Smile
Susie

susies1955

Back to top Go down

Come on in and say Hi!! Empty Come on in and say HI!

Post  Bama Gir Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:16 pm

You're welcome Suzie! I'm glad I could help. Thanks for your tip too!
Bama Girl

Bama Gir

Back to top Go down

Come on in and say Hi!! Empty Hello everyone

Post  pamper52 Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:45 pm

I am new to this forum and am looking forward to sharing information.

I have had my Silhouette SD for about 1 1/2 years. I bought a new MAC computer in July so I had a period when I could not use the silhouette. At first I found this to be a very very frustrating machine. It seemed to either tore the paper or would not cut through the paper. I have gotten more comfortable with it in the last several months but there are still many features that i do not know how to utilize.

I usually use tape to help secure my paper to the mat. I also just tried Elmers adhesive.It worked for me but got all over my sink so be careful with it. It also has a very chemical odor to it.

I am a big scrapbooker. Unfortunately, all the stores in our area have closed. However, there is a nice store about 40 minutes away where I bought the silhouette.

pamper52

Back to top Go down

Post  susies1955 Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:34 am

Hi Pamper52,
Are you 52 or born in 52?
Hope you can share some or ALL of what you have learned in that time.
I have been finding the Silhouette pretty hard too. Well it is getting a tad better but I have a lot to learn.
How did you cure the tearing paper problem?
I only have a Walmart which has almost nothing and a Joann's that are both a half hour away. The Joann's is very tiny and doesn't have much. I do most of my shopping on line.
How are you doing now that they support the Mac? Are you figuring things out better?
Susie

susies1955

Back to top Go down

Post  swlady Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:38 am

Hi all!

I am Kathy from Wisconsin, formerly Arizona, quite a weather change! I got my Silhouette right after Christmas and am having a blast with it. I haven't really done much so far but it is neat!

My daughter and I have done 2 cards, and some vinyl stuff for a glass block. The vinyl is kinda hard to load but once you get it loaded it cuts great.

I agree! Their customer service is the best! I love you
swlady
swlady

http://www.kzembroidery.com

Back to top Go down

Post  susies1955 Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:56 am

Hi Kathy,
I got my Silhouette for Christmas too.
Hey, we are the same age. I was born in October..........how about you?
Susie

susies1955

Back to top Go down

Post  swlady Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:07 am

My birthday is next month, Feb 18. I try not to have them anymore! lol!
swlady
swlady

Back to top Go down

Post  susies1955 Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:10 am

Well EARLY Happy Birthday. Smile
Susie

susies1955

Back to top Go down

Post  swlady Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:30 am

Thanks!
swlady
swlady

Back to top Go down

Come on in and say Hi!! Empty Hello!

Post  emskyrooney Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:20 am

Hi all! I'm Emily! I got my Silhouette for Christmas from my wonderful hubby! I've used it so far to make a few cards (although I'm not much of a paper crafter) as well as do some glass etching and some vinyl stuff. Am LOVING that I can use my own fonts and create my own designs with it. I'm also into digital scrapbooking, sewing, home dec and DIY, cooking, baking, and general crafts. I have a 2 year old little boy and am sooo excited about all the things I can make for him! Can't wait to try some iron-on transfers!

emskyrooney

Back to top Go down

Post  susies1955 Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:19 pm

Hi Emily,
It sounds like you are really enjoying your Silhouette. I've only done two vinyl projects and some sketching and a few card stock cutouts. Smile
Susie

susies1955

Back to top Go down

Post  vpoche Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:19 pm

Susie,
How did you like the sketching? I have not tried that yet.
Thanks,
Vicky

vpoche

Back to top Go down

Post  susies1955 Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:04 pm

It is real fun. In fact it can be addicting. Smile
Susie

susies1955

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum